HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 09:44:39 -0400
On Monday, June 23, 1997 2:25 AM, [log in to unmask]
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

<snip>

>  The Islamic Calendar is another moon based calendar , but does not
>  tries
> to match itself to the sun calendar , so their holidays can appear
> on
> diffent time of the year (I think they lose a year every 65 years -
> that
> is a 65 years old moslem is actually only 64 years old).

Yep --- which is why you really need to know when Ramadan (one of the
big holidays in Islamic countries) is during any given year.  The
year I was there, it started at the end of June - and Ramadan runs
for one (lunar) month).  Virtually nothing occurs during the day, and
all business is transacted in the evenings.  Ever see a souk (outdoor
market) open at 2AM?  <g>  It's best to plan around Ramadan (but you
have to know when it is), as your productivity will be virtually nil.

Cheers,
Joe