HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 19:38:03 -0400
But an affordable alternative...

              Not a 908... It's FASTRAN/PC No, it's not a 908. If you've followed the discussion on HP3000-L, you know that the 908 is the designation for the hypothetical very small HP3000 earnestly desired by developers. However, Fastran/PC is certainly the Next Best Thing for Transact application developers. Fastran/PC is actually a whole development environment for your PC. All you need is a 386 or better PC with 4 Mb of memory, a hard disc, MS-DOS 5.0 or better, Windows 3.1 or better, and WRQ Reflections. To compile and test code, you need MPE, so MPE emulation of some basic CI commands is included (stuff like FILE, LISTEQ, FCOPY, ABORT, etc.). Click on the icon and there's the colon prompt! Fastran/PC is not a complete standalone HP3000 clone. The Dictionary, data bases, and VPlus forms files must be created on a real HP3000. Then they are compressed, downloaded to the PC, and uncompressed. The source code can be copied from the HP3000, if it is existing code you are modifying, or written from scratch on the PC. The source code is compiled on the PC, using the downloaded Dictionary. The compiled code is executed on the PC, using downloaded data bases and forms files, and any MPE files either downloaded or created on the PC. Thus software can be tested without impacting anything on the HP3000. In fact, any standalone software, such as data collection, can be run in a production mode on the PC. Inexplicably, Fastran/PC has not been a market success, so there are no funds available for further development. KSAM has not been added yet, or the ability to call subroutines written in other languages. The Transact version is current up to about 1993, so those neat string-handling functions aren't there. Life is not perfect. Do you have a Year 2000 project? Code which is not Year 2000 compliant may well have been written before some of the most recent Transact enhancements were made, so their absence in Fastran/PC may not be an issue. The most important one, the DATE/C option on the LIST command, is there. Download and modify your code on the PC, and test there without impacting the HP3000. Changing the system date on the PC is MUCH less traumatic than changing it on the HP3000 (unless, of course, you have a dedicated crash-and-burn HP3000 available!). I've been using Fastran/PC for several years, and find it quite useful. I've had clients on both sides of the country for whom I write or modify Transact programs. The two methods of source code transfer are via dial-in connections and floppy discs sent through the mail. Dial-in connections can become quite expensive in telephone charges. Telephone lines in some areas ar subject to noise problems. My solution has been to create a compressed Dictionary and test-size Image data base(s) as well as any needed VPlus forms files, and download them to a floppy disc. The floppy is carried back from a site visit or sent through the mail, then loaded on to my PC and the files uncompressed. Then I can download source code to be modified or write new code as needed. I use Microsoft Edit; it's simple and does what I need. Then I compile the code using the client's Dictionary and test the programs using the client's data bases, forms files, and MPE files, all on my own PC, with no worry about any adverse impact on my client's computer. When finished, the new source code is uploaded or sent on a floppy, then compiled on the HP3000. Fastran/PC is a product of Performance Software Group. Contact is Nick Demos [log in to unmask] Tel. (410) 788-6777 Fax (410) 788-4476 JOIN US AT SIGRAPID AND FIND OUT WHAT ELSE IS HAPPENING IN THE WORLD OF TRANSACT / DICTIONARY / INFORM / REPORT