HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 21:33:45 +0200
David A. Lethe wrote:

> How do I use the protect bit in the file label?

not at all, unless you write a priviledge mode program
or unless an AIF:OS call lets you change it.

> I need to protect a file in such a way that MPE won't move it around.

I did not find the time to answer your previous posting, but I assume
there is a misunderstanding on how MPE handles files and their
allocated disk structures on your side.

Once a file is created and allocated (assuming that it does not
grow in size) on disk, it will in general not change its place
on disk(s).
Exceptions are tools that are moving extents of files for a special
purpose, like Defragmentation tools, or (neologism alert) Contiguation
tools like MPE's VOLUTIL : CONTIGVOL command.

A RESTORE will also "move" the file, as it reads the data into a new
file, and deletes the existing (same name assumed) file, when the
read from tape (disk, network) completed w/o errors.

I must admit that I cannot recall why you want a file that 'does not
move'. Normally the only tools that have such requirements for direct
sector adressing are utilities that run when the system is down (e.g.
DUMP) and no normal directory and file system services are available.

If you want we can take the discussion offline,
and you can email me directly at [log in to unmask]

Goetz.