HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

Date:
Tue, 24 Jun 1997 09:18:29 +0200
Meddelandetext (21 lines)
tjohnson wrote:
> As a Geography graduate, (who also liked demographics) am curious about
> which cultures (aside from the obvious, Judaism, I think they start the
> week on sunset of Friday) start their week on other days besides the
> equivalent of our Sunday.
>
> Am given to understand our current Christian week was copied from the
> Roman standard.  Even though there are Catholic legends that provide
> religious reasons in Christian context.

In Sweden we use (at least I and my collegues and printed calendars does)
Monday as the first day of week, we also adopt to the standard concerning
week numbering (it's not *that* hard, we've had no casualties that I'm aware
of :-).

BTW, those meaning Sunday is the first day of the week, do you resite the
days of the week (as when you try to teach a kid) starting with Sunday?

/per (we're also heavilly in to the metric system ;-)