HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 16:18:12 -0400
All of Waynes message sniped - starting sniping - didn't stop.

Wayne did a fine exposition of the why's and wherefore's of
the first day of the week and a good job of defending the ISO
standard, but isn't it somewhat of a tempest in a teapot?  One
DOESN'T need the day of the week to accurately define a date.
Assuming the Gregorian calendar ( i may be getting in hot water
here, but I'll touch on this later) one doesn't need the day of
the week to uniquely define a point in time.  So if there is
no widely accepted standard ( the fact that the ISO says it
has established one, doesn't really sway me) go to a measurement
that a larger per cent of the worlds's (commercial or otherwise)
population thinks is correct.

For example, pilots wouldn't use the nth day of the week not only
because there is no widely accepted norm, but because it is
completely unnecesay.  There are other measurements that are
imprecise without an adjective to say just whose measuement we
are talking about.  Gallon?  Ton?  Mile?  We either have to supply
the adjective or use another measurement.  I believe I am correct
in this (and I am SURE someone will correct me if I am not)that
pilots (at least at international airports) use:
1. English
2.  Standard words for each letter of the alphabet.
3.  The Gregorian calendar.
4.  The 24 hour clock (have they divided the day metrically yet?,
    perish the thought).
5.  And so on.

We need standards, but they will be used only out of necessity
when they are somebody else's standard - Here on the East coast
they tried selling gasoline in liters - didn't work - they went
back to selling it in gallons (and NOT the Imperial gallon).

So MY calendar starts on Sunday as the firit day of the week
and it will forever because I have no reason to communicate,
let's say, with an Arab on this subject.  I will use Grgorian
dates, etc.

Happy Thor's day.  Yes we are having lightning here today!

Regards,

Nick Demos  [log in to unmask]
Performance Software Group

Tel. (410) 788-6777 Fax (410) 788-4476