HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 4

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 1997 14:41:50 -0400
On Thursday, June 26, 1997 2:21 PM, Jim Phillips
[SMTP:[log in to unmask]] wrote:

Hey Jim,

> Okay, so we're the last company with an HP3000 to be doing this!
> <g>

No you're not --- I happen to know of a company who hasn't made this
leap yet...

> We have several (< 10) PC's that are on a peer-to-peer network
> using
> thin coax.  Currently these PC's connect to the HP3000 using DTC's.
> We want to use the existing coax to connect to the HP.  We're using
> Reflection 1 Version 5.0.
>
> Is connecting the HP to the thin coax network as simple as
> extending
> the coax to the HP, removing one of the terminators, and plugging
> the
> coax in?

Yes!  That's one option - if the network cards in the PC have a
10Base-2 ("T") connector.  The other and more attractive alternative
is to get a 10Base-T (Twisted Pair) hub which sits on the coax, and
run twisted pair to the PCs.

You have to keep the coax under 602 feet and the number of
connections on the coax under 30 --- the general rule of thumb ---
but the less coax, and the lower the number of connections, the
better.  Go over that, and you need a repeater between the coax
segments, and you can have no more than three coax segments.

With a hub, each TP line from the hub to the PC can be no longer than
602 feet - again, the shorter, the better.  Most hubs can be
"daisychained" (plug one hub into another).

> After we connect the HP to the network physically, how do I connect
> (i.e., logon) to the HP from the PC's?  What do I need to tell
> Reflection
> so it can recognize the HP?

Instead of using a Serial connection - you will need a TCP/IP stack
on the system (Win95 TCP/IP, WRQ's 3000 Connection, etc) - and then
after installing that, and configuring TCP/IP for each PC, set
Reflection/1 to use a Network Connection using NS/VT.  When
Reflection starts, an MPE prompt comes up automatically.

> As you can tell I'm a network rookie, so all help will be
> graciously
> received! :-)

And you, an MIS Manager --- sheesh!  (said toungue firmly planted in
cheek, Jim :-)

Cheers,
Joe

Joe Geiser
CSI Business Solutions
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road
Suite 102
Langhorne, PA 19047-3083, USA
Phone: +1 (215) 945-8100/Fax: +1 (215) 943-8408
E-Mail:  [log in to unmask]    WWW: http://www.csillc.com