HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 3

Craig Vespe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Jun 1997 13:47:36 CDT
The esteemed Chairman of SIGSYSMAN Scott Hirsh writes -

>The June 26 meeting in Oakland has generated only 8 confirmations, where
>in the past we would have at least 25 by now. Is this another sign that
>the HP3000 is near death? Clearly, this kind of response will be the end
>of quarterly meetings as we've known them. Perhaps the HP3000-L has
>eliminated the need for face-to-face information sharing? Or is nobody
>interested in the speakers/topics?

   As mentioned here before, tight budgets usually limit travel to one,
   maybe two (I'm crossing my fingers in the case of HPWorld), trips
   a year to conferences/meetings for non-sales types.  Even though
   I'm not a system manager (and I don't play one on tv), I have
   enjoyed the input from SYSMAN meetings - the meetings are a good
   venue for managers to take pot-shots at vendors about our
   software/customer support/pricing/training/etc.

   As for the topics:

>"Access to System Diagnostics on MPE and HP-UX (Focus Group format)"
>
>"Integrating Windows NT into an HP3000 Environment"

   These are both topics near and dear to my heart, and I'd like to attend
   based on the merit of these alone.

   As the lack of response seems to be born out of proximity and not
   necessarily lack of interest, you might in future want to try
   teleconferencing.  Birket Foster has put together quite of few for
   SIGSoftVend and we've gotten good coverage and content.  Although
   not as intimate as being there in person, it's a good way to air
   ideas without dipping into the department's budget.

   cv
--
Craig Vespe [log in to unmask] Unison Software 811 Barton Springs, Austin Tx.78704
512-478-0611 http://www.unison.com NASDAQ UNSN disclaimer quote ANSI graphics