HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 2

From:
Ken Paul <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 9 Jun 1997 17:10:38 -0600
On Thu, 5 Jun 1997 15:21:05 -0700, Efren Castro <[log in to unmask]> asked:

>How else can I update a critical item? without touching the master?
>Im working on a 2000 projects and we are moving from 6 char. field to an
>8 char field (data set by data set)

To which Curt Brimacomb <[log in to unmask]> responded:

>Simplest way is to delete to record and then add it back in.  Or you can
>try to turn on CIUPDATE on the database.  I've never set a base to this
>so I can't tell you if it works well in all cases.

If Efren is talking about a search field which is defined as a path between
a detail and a master then Critical Item Update (CIU) is not going to help
him with the change from 6 char field (X6) to an 8 char field (X8).  If it
were an I2 which was going from 6 digits to 8 digits and the master was an
automatic then CIU could be used.  If the master was a manual master then a
pass of the master dataset to create the new 8 digit records followed by a
pass of the detail to change the 6 digits to 8 digits followed by a second
pass of the master to remove the 6 digit records could be used but that
would not be fun to do.  CIU is only allowed for changing detail records
not master records.

/Plug alert

Adager's new Change Date function can do this change (from an X6 to an X8
searchfield value) with a single pass of your datasets.  Adager will not
only change the type and data within the field but will also rehash the new
entries in the master dataset.

/end plug alert

Hope this helps,

|            r  |  Ken                             [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  Ken Paul                      Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Customer Support              Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.