HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 2

From:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Goetz Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Jun 1997 17:39:27 +0200
ed, culp wrote:

> I have recently had a problem with our 987.
> Several times a day it would become very slow for 30 to 60
> seconds with much disc i/o.  Glance showed SNMP was using cpu time.
> I fixed the problem by adding the following line to the system
> startup procedure:
>
> RUN SNMPUTIL.NET.SYS;INFO='SNMPCONTROL STOP'

If no other node on your network expects your 987 to answer
SNMP requests, then this should be ok for you.

> Is this normal or is there something misconfigured?

I am anything but an SNMP expert (maybe James Hofmeister can shed
a little light here), but there is 2 things with this process
SNMP.NET.SYS that I am aware of:

- SNMP contains part of a resource monitoring functionality, it can
  tell basic data about CPU & disc space consumption to requesting
  systems. (afaik some of our OpenView products make use of this).
  Part of this is watchdogging available disc space, and other data
  about your volumes per calls to the HPVOLINFO intrinsic (you could
  trace that with Glance).
  This can cause a higher CPU consumption and a bunch of disc I/Os
  for a limited time frame, especially if you have a lot of disc
  drives on your system.

- What might make this a "pain" for your users is the fact that
  SNMP on 5.0 and 5.5 is running at a too high process priority,
  so it preempts your normal CS-queue users, while it is busy doing
  this monitoring.
  For the latter problem you can get a patch (MPEJXE0) for both
  5.0 and 5.5 from your next RC.

Hope this helps,
Goetz