HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 2

From:
"SIMPKINS, Terry" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
SIMPKINS, Terry
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 21:13:00 +0000
Here is a strange one, anyone already solve this?

I have just started up a new location that is connecting to our HP3000 via
frame relay.
At the remote site, we installed a 2563B with an HP parallel interface
connected to the
LAN (at that site) via an "official" HP JetDirect EX box.
We gave the JD box an IP address from the remote site's class C address.
We configured the gateway address in NMMGR, etc, etc.

Everything is going along swimmingly.  Printers are printing, terminals are
"terminaling?",
life is good.
Then all of a sudden, the printer just quits.  The terminals still connect
fine.
I can ping the JD box.  A local Novell user can print something to the
printer, but when they do, they get a bit of the last file sent to the
printer before they get what they sent.

The symptoms are:
 - The printer is doing nothing
 - do a "showout" of that printer and it shows a file is "active", but
nothing is printing
 - do an abortio, fine; do another and you get "no io to abort.." and the
spooler stops
 - do a "startspool" for that device and the loop starts all over again.

The thing that has me baffled, is that we didn't change anything (i'm not
kidding), between when
it was working and when it quit working.
I have checked the printer configuration and it appears to be configured
correctly, parms 20-29=0.

NPCONFIG is used to set the IP address and assign a setup-file of
tt22.pub.sys.

Terry Simpkins