HP3000-L Archives

June 1997, Week 2

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jun 1997 10:35:33 -0500
At 09:15 PM 6/10/97 GMT, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>I have a backup tape containing 8-9 gig of data, which was
>made using the HP3000's standard backup utility. The tape
>contains database files. I am told that the database in
>question is called "Turbo Image",and that it's a
>hierarchical database. I need to be able to restore this
>backup tape, access the database, run queries and extract
>information. In order to do all this I need to find someone
>who is an expert with that particular database and I need to
>find an HP3000 environment with that database software
>available. There are some specific reasons why we can't go
>back to the site that generated the tape.

This last statement, coupled with the lack of any knowledge
internally set off some caution alarms....

/snip

>Jonathan Gennick
>Senior Consultant
>KPMG Peat Marwick

Given that Peat Marwick provides consulting/outsourcing services
its not clear from this posting whether or not the data belongs
to KPMG or a former client, as msg indicated there were reasons
why they couldn't go back to the originating site.  As such, I
would recommend caution in terms of providing help in this situation
as there may be more to this than is stated.  Certainly KPMG
would be able to provide appropriate 'releases'/etc. if necessary,
especially if this is part of some legal action and they have
appropriate clearance/rights to access the information.

Don't mis-understand my intent, as I don't have any qualms with
KPMG.  Only the fact that I've been there and appreciate the
position one can get into if they're not careful regardless of
who is asking for the help, who is the owner of the data and
if appropriate access has been obtained.