HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 5

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 31 May 1997 23:39:08 -0400
----------
> From: Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]; [log in to unmask]
> Subject: RE: Why INTEREX Consultants List and other thoughts (longish)
> Date: Saturday, May 31, 1997 9:29 AM
>
> Well, Joe presents compelling arguments for low cost links, but he
hasn't
> seen many sites.  At Hicomp, we are constantly being sent messages from
> other webmasters offering to have links to our page, at their page, for
> what they term good deals or low prices.  Generally they vary from
> $500/month to a lot more.  Long ago, I stopped being surprised at these
> costs, they are so common.

<snip>

> Advertising or having a banner at some of the more popular sites cost
> almost a grand a month.  Sorry Joe, but we researched this early last
year
> and we were even more stunned then than you are now.  There is
definitely
> money to be made on the web, but it's mainly in advertising or porn at
this
> time.  (Yes, I am aware that other industries/services do make money on
the
> web, but it is not in the same range as the above.  Not yet, anyway.)

Well, the numbers I used earlier were from Webmaster and Internet World
--- and personal experience - and for Links only, in this case.  I know
that there are others out there which try to "gouge" - and I recommend
staying away from those sites like the plague.  You are indeed correct,
Denys, in that so-called "partners" wanting to charge large sums of money
for the "privilege" - and to these partners, I would say "no thanks" (but
I like your idea --- pay them, and charge them more <g> - nice one!)

All in all ...

1.  Reciprocity should be just that - reciprocity - links are a
two-to-five minute HTML job and the bandwidth is minimal --- those who
want to charge large sums of money are trying to gouge, or at the very
least, pay for those T-1 lines to their ISPs

2.  For the Interex list - for which this whole thing started - I would
not pay USD100.00 for a link on their site - again, I know what goes into
creating the link (2 lines of HTML, 5 minutes tops for any webmaster worth
their weight in salt and bandwidth is minimal).

Lastly - many small businesses use Reciprocity to generate leads.  Every
one of CSI's Alliance Partners has also either reciprocated, or is in the
process of doing so...and all of them, free of charge.  CSI's site is
listed in the major search engines - again, Free of Charge.  CSI has
received inquiries from the site and more than a few hits - so why would
CSI pay for a simple link?  A banner, yes - but a link?  As I said earlier
- USD15-20, that's about it - if at all.

> Speaking of which, let me digress for a minute here.

<snip the spam>

...which is why I retrieve CompuServe mail so infrequently - it's 98%
spam.  It gets deleted without even being read...who the hell has time for
that?  (I'm thinking though, if I had the time, of looking up some of the
domain addresses in WHOIS, and sending the Billing Contact an invoice for
the time it takes to process their spam (a 1 hour minimum at USD250.00 per
hour, of course <g>)  --- of course, they'd never pay, but the
satisfaction of hitting the biggest offenders would be more than worth
it...

I await the 3k demo of NetMail with their nice Spam Filter <g> - it's one
of the reasons I'm leaning in that direction for CSI's new SMTP/POP3
server :-)

Cheers,
Joe
Joe Geiser - CSI Business Solutions, LLC
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA  19047-3083, USA
Phone: (215) 945-8100     Fax: (215) 943-8408
[log in to unmask]            http://www.csillc.com