HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 May 1997 22:24:35 -0400
First off, let me add another pat on the back for Mark Bixby's excellent
and wide-ranging porting efforts with Apache, Syslog, and Bind.  You can
achieve excellent results when you find the rare individual who is
well-versed in each of Unix, MPE, and the elusive MPE Posix environment.
Many long-time MPE fanatics (myself included) lack the patience to
follow through porting efforts due to Unix mysteries.  Likewise, many
long-time Unix gurus have abandoned MPE porting efforts due to Posix
mysteries.  Those few individuals who manage to bridge the gap make
miracles happen.

Let's not forget yet another "Mark" of excellence... Mark Klein.  It is
his Gnu/gcc port that made much of this possible.  His efforts made many
porting efforts "tolerable" by providing a much more robust Posix middle
ground.

Our "Marks" have carried on the legacy that began with Steve Elmer and
Mike Belshe, formerly of CSY but now departed for other pursuits, who
initiated the "visible" ports several years ago with the BSD extensions,
NCSA httpd port, and other groundbreaking ports.

And of course let's not forget Lars for Samba, Michael Hensley for the
freeware packaging, Mike Yawn for Java, and others [I couldn't begin to
name them all] who have done so much with so little for our benefit.

The future viability of the 3000 lies in successes such as these (IMHO)
although I'm well aware some of our colleagues would disagree on grounds
of the purity of MPE/Image/etc.  I would still maintain that the most
significant advances on the 3000 have been in the Posix arena (web, DNS,
bind, syslog, lynx, java, gcc, telnet, inetd, bootp, tftp, etc).  The
3000 has become quite a mature Internet player due to volunteer efforts
for the most part (though CSY has contributed as well, thank you very
much!) while other areas remain stagnant.

Kudos to all the porting players.  Keep up the excellent work.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>