HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 4

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 26 May 1997 15:06:42 -0700
Jens von Bulow writes:
>            ftp> ls
>                 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
>                 malloc: Not enough memory space
>                 abort: Operation not supported on socket

The malloc error needs to be investigated.

The "Operation not supported" can be any one of a number of things that
may or may not exist in the official /usr/include files but aren't actually
implemented under POSIX.

>         The error message on the HP3000 console was as follows.
>
>                         system abort 1458 from subsystem 102
>                         system halt 7, $05B2

1458/102 means an abort occured when interrupts were disabled, a rather
generic condition that happens in too many places.  You'll need to take a
dump and get a stack trace in order to debug this any further.

In porting BIND/iX, I was able to produce this every time when fork()-ing
after duping an open socket with sfcntl(F_DUPFD), something that isn't
supported (but shouldn't result in a system crash later on).

Arrange for some idle time on your system, then crash it.  Take a dump with
DUMP SUBSET=ALL.  Then:

:hello mgr.telesup,dat
:dat
getdump a1458
macstart
a1458
1
tr ,d,i

This will copy the dump from tape to disk (a1458.dat.telesup), then read in
the debugging macros, and do a stack trace of the current process at the time
of the crash.

If you're dealing with a fork() situation, you'll also need to get a stack
trace of the parent process.  The macro job_current_process lists all active
jobs and their process trees.

DAT is an *extremely* handy tool for learning more about MPE internals.  You
can also run it against your live system, not just for dump post-mortems.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/