HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 3

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 17:34:40 -0600
Ron Seybold <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Neil Weiser of Denkart observed that HP was quick to use UNIX and NT in its
>latest quarterly report (as always), but failed to mention the HP 3000.
>There's a good reason for this, at least for this quarter. HP's Q2 report
>of yesterday tells of a two percent drop in orders in the US over the
>period. The news was disappointing enough to stock analysts to drive the HP
>share price down 10 percent when the report was released. (These share
>prices seem to be based on expectations, and little else. HP still reported
>well over $700 million in profits for the period, and still beat last
>year's Q2 numbers. But not by much.)
>
>In contrast, the HP 3000 group had one of its better quarters in Q2, and is
>now at 150 percent of sales quota for the first six months of 1997. Orders
>are up in the HP 3000 community.
>
>Perhaps if the 3000 had been struggling to keep its business the way the
>UNIX group was laboring, then HP might have mentioned the 3000 in its
>report. As it is, I'm glad the most reliable commercial system HP makes
>escaped mention in a report about why HP's orders are down.
>
>In this case, at least, no news really is good news. ;)

I am sure HP managers in charge of the HP3000 will be quick to take
advantage of this golden opportunity to spread the GREAT news about the
HP3000, so that they may attract many new customers to what Ron calls "the
most reliable commercial system HP makes".  Unless, of course, they do not
want to offend their less-lucky colleagues.  But then, again, I have heard
that HP gives total independence to its business units and they are free to
compete among themselves.

We are 100% behind you and your troops, Harry Sterling!  As the bearer of
an illustrious first name in the history of U.S. Presidents, you will
appreciate this:

Give 'em hell, Harry!

 _______________
|               |
|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.

                                                                .