HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 3

From:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Stan Sieler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 May 1997 12:52:05 -0700
Michael asks:
> We are using an HP3000/928 with MPE/iX 5.0, and we purchased two brandNew!
> 4.3 GBYTE drives "A3674A". These drives just slide right in no problem. So
> after they're configured in I want to do a reload, is that really needed?

No, a reload isn't needed.  The only reasons I can see to do a reload
in your case are:

   1) you've decided to change the number of volumes in one or more
      volume sets and are taking this opportunity to do it.
      (E.g., go from a 10 disk MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET setup to
      a 2 disk MPEXL_SYSTEM_VOLUME_SET, 5 disks USERS, and 5
      disks SALES volume sets)

   2) you want to "balance" the available space across all of the
      disks in the volume set(s) that the new drives are added into.

For number 2, two products are available that can do this for you (rebalance
an existing system).

<plug>
De-Frag/X has a BALANCE command, allowing you to balance a volume set or
a group of disks.   Email: [log in to unmask]
</plug>

> What's the best way to reload a MPE/iX 5.0 system, distributing files evenly
> across all drives?

Not doing it? :)

If you reload the files yourself, you're likely to run into future
FSCHECK problems because some files that are expected to be on ldev 1,
but not *required* to be there, may have been restored onto an ldev other
than 1.  This problem generally shows up with FSCHECK finding entries
in the label table for files in the DIAG.SYS group without corresponding
entries in the directory.  I'd recommend at least restoring @.DIAG.SYS;DEV=1
<plug> De-Frag/X will refrain from moving such files off of ldev 1 </plug>.

--
Stan Sieler                                          [log in to unmask]
                                     http://www.allegro.com/sieler.html