HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 3

From:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cortlandt Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 1997 21:04:50 GMT
Jeff,

There is a DBMS design criteria which states that:
  All data and relations shall be visable to the user.   This means that
all keys and indexing schemes should be capable of being regenerated from
the visible data.

According to Date  the idea that all information must be derivable from the
visible values in the database has always been implicit in the relational
model.
I am confused because I read you to say that is not the case with RDBMS
systems.   By Date & Codd's definitions "true" RDBMS systems share this
feature with IMAGE.

I refer you to Codd's RM/V2  (1990)

RS-4  Information Portability

"If a row of a base R-table is moved in any kind of storage by the DBMS,
its information content as perceived by users remains unchanged   ...  The
entire information content of the DBMS as seen by users must not be
dependent upon the site or equipment in which any of the data is located."

I read the last sentence to mean that the entire "information content" of
the database should be capable of being recreated from the user-visible
data alone.

Codd comments that: "any hashing of data done by the system must not be
perceptible to users.    Similarly, if the primary key value is ever system
generated, that value cannot be a pointer or an address, and cannot be
location-dependent in any way."

- Cortlandt Wilson

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]> wrote in article