HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Denys Beauchemin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 15:49:59 -0500
Image is indeed not a "True Relational" database.  Image/SQL is an
IMAGE database.

It is easier to say what IMAGE can do that makes it look like an RDBMS
rather that listing what it cannot do.

IMAGE/SQL is an SQL -accessible database.  It understands DML (Data
Manipulation Language) and as such can SELECT, INSERT and UPDATE data
within the database.  It does not understand DDL, (Data Definition
Language) or DCL (Data Command Language).  Because IMAGE is an SQL
database, its data can be accessed via ODBC.

For all intents and purposes, there are NO "True Relational
Databases".  There are quite a number of SQL databases, on of which is
IMAGE.  But again, IMAGE only does DML.

Kind regards,

Denys. . .

Denys Beauchemin
Hicomp America, Inc.
[log in to unmask]        www.hicomp.com/hicomp
(800) 323-8863   (281) 288-7438  fax: (281) 355-6879