HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Mark Bixby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 12:02:10 -0700
Sorry about the delay in me joining this thread.  Some of us prefer our
downhill "coasting" to be on snow -- I've just returned from savoring the
waning days of the North American ski season at Mammoth Mountain, CA.

Ron Seybold writes:
> Reji Jacob of the Bangalore CSY team is asking what kinds of things are
> high on everybody's wish lists to be ported to MPE. And Lars Appel of HP
> pointed out, rightly, that MIME/SMTP mail systems are in abundant supply
> for the 3000s (so who needs a port of sendmail or elm, right?)

A port of sendmail is absolutely needed.

If you only want to do e-mail from the MPE side, sure, there are plenty of
viable vendor solutions.  But if you want to do e-mail from the POSIX side
in a portable manner, either for something you want to move from MPE to Unix
or from Unix to MPE, then sendmail is the way to go.

I've been doing Internet/Unix for about 5 years now, and I have yet to see
any freeware packages that allow, say NetMail/3000, as an acceptable mail
transport.  ;-)  They all expect sendmail or /bin/mailx.

The various 3000 e-mail vendors would be wise to implement a sendmail-compatible
interface so that POSIX scripts expecting sendmail or mailx will be able to
work with the vendor package.

> Here's something nobody's offering on an HP 3000 -- Domain Name Services.

It's closer than you think.

The good news is that my port of BIND 8.1 was making good progress.  I'm just
debugging the run-time code that bind()s to the listening sockets.

The bad news is that all of my syslog and BIND work crashed my only 3000
(mission-critical, naturally) 3 times in a week and a half.  Management told me
to knock it off.  I suspect the increased POSIX sockets activity has exercised
an HP networking bug.

The other good news is that CSY is shipping me a loaner system (arriving
today?) so I can continue my porting efforts.  A "geeks only" release of both
syslog and BIND could follow soon.  Watch for the announcement.
--
Mark Bixby                      E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Coast Community College Dist.   Web: http://www.cccd.edu/~markb/