HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Nick Demos <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 1997 12:07:50 -0400
----------
From:   Denys Beauchemin[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
,

Yesterday, I was perusing the Spring issue of the HP-UX resource directory,
and as I opened the cover, an ad on the inside cover caught my eye, as ads
are supposed to do.  The picture shows a man working on what seems to be a
large, antiquated laptop.  Reading the text, one discovers this is not an
ordinary laptop, but rather, a portable HP-UX workstation!

The Galaxy 1100 is marketed by SAIC of San Diego, CA which describes the
product thusly:
"Execute complex applications, perform software development and
demonstrations (italics are mine), network administration and other HP-UX
computing tasks easily.  A 10.4 inch, full-color, active matrix LCD renders
images at a resolution of 1024 x 768, giving you superb graphics
capability.  Powerful and portable, Galaxy 1100 is fully software
compatible with the HP 9000/700 workstation series.  It has 32 MB of RAM,
expandable to 128 MB with error detection/correction capability, and the
performance and reliability of the HP PA-RISC processor."
I am not sure what Denys wants, is interested in, from the above.

We had a project to run HP 3000 programs on the PC.  We
implemented the 3000 command interpreter, VPLUS and most of the
intrinsics.  We ported TRANSACT (because we knew this compiler
from our previous product (Fastran)). We did not do anything more with
it because our only prospect wanted every conceivable bell and
whistle.  Image and VPLUS were done through a download process
that converted FORMSPEC files and IMAGE files to the PC.

It still runs (Cecile Chi can attest to that).

Needed to make it a source level compatible 3000 would be:

1. A formspec conversion.
2.  A Query cinversion
3.  A COBOL compiler - We determined that it would be feasible to
     use Accura (spelling?) COBOL.

4.  A lot more testing.

So its doable at that level.

Anybody interested?  At this point, we could give away some /all
of it as long as any user would understand that it be used as
a proof-of-concept only.

Nick Demos  [log in to unmask]