HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 19:23:36 GMT
Jeff Sullivan wrote:
:
: When creating the NPCONFIG file with the Network
: Printers LDEV and IP address, is there any way to
: activate this without rebooting the system??  Also,
: where do the setup files come from.  ie, LJ4SISET.HPENV?
: Are they created somehow, or copied from somewhere??

Jeff's second question first (others have already answered the first
question).

The LJ4SISET.HPENV example in the manual (both file name and contents) was
just something I dreamed up to demonstrate a possible setup for a
LaserJet 4Si.  We shipped five prototypical setup files ([log in to unmask])
with Release 5.5.  Unfortunately, we neglected to document either their
existence or their function in the manual.  Briefly, there is a pair
(PCLELITE, PCLELITD) to specify portrait mode printing (the only difference
between the two is a single-side (PCLELITE) or duplex (PCLELITD) PCL
sequence.  Another pair (PCLLP, PCLLPD) provide simplex/duplex landscape
mode printing.  These two files have incorrect information in them.
Please see the text of SR 4701-338301 for necessary changes.  The final
file, PCLPOST, places the printer in PostScript (tm) mode.

Other parts of the manual state that the user is responsible for creating
any needed setup files, using any vendor or reference work available to
them.  The setup files can contain any data that the printer can interpret
when sent to the printer as a continuous byte stream.  In one celebrated
test, we printed the entire output from the ENV file:
   :FILE OUT;DEV=LP;ENV=<the output bytestream data>
   :PRINT $NULL,*OUT

Usually ENV or setup files are not used in such a tour-de-force fashion,
but specify necessary operating parameters of the printer.  The PCL5
Technical Reference Manual is a good source for this kind of information.
Also see Holger Wiemann's suggestion (in his response, reproduced below).

Holger Wiemann ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

[...]

: 3. you easily can create your own setup files, they should be
:    UNNUMBERED flat files; within editor you can do:

: editor
: HP32201A.09.00 EDIT/3000 WED, MAY  7, 1997,  6:05 PM
: (C) HEWLETT-PACKARD CO. 1993
: /a
:     1     @Z
:     2     @E
:     3     @&l0L
:     4     @&l0E       <-----------
:     5     @&l26A
:     6     @(8U
:     7     //
: ...
: /cq "@" to '27 in all
: /k mysetup,unn;e

:    which mean:
:     <ESC>Z     - display function off
:     <ESC>E     - reset
:     <ESC>&l0L  - perforation skip off
:     <ESC>&l0E  - 0 lines top margin      <---------------
:     <ESC>&l26A - DIN A4 (IN GERMANY !!!), other values could be
:                  <ESC>&l2A  - letter
:                  <ESC>&l3A  - legal
:                  <ESC>&l6A  - ledger
:                  <ESC>&l27A - DIN A3
:     <ESC>&(8U  - HP ROMAN 8

:     for other values like portrait (<ESC>&l0O) or landscape
:     (<ESC>&l1O) see a good printer PCL manual/book.

I strongly suggest you do NOT use the "0 lines top margin" sequence
I marked above.  It has been found to break the spooler's page eject
function.  The spooler sends <ESC>&l1V (skip to VFC channel 1, aka
top-of-form) in response to either CCTL %61 or %300.  If you have
previously sent <ESC>&l0E, a subsequent <ESC>&l1V moves the logical
pen to the top of form, but does not eject the page.  The result is
that all your output prints on one page.

We consider this a printer firmware bug, and are trying to resolve
it within HP.  Meanwhile, you can avoid this problem by using any
other legal value in the top margin sequence (such as <ESC>&l1E, one
line top margin).

-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us" Byler-