HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 20:26:37 GMT
Chris Bartram ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: We've offered an MPE/V executable version of NetMail/3000 (which does
: SMTP/MIME/POP2/POP3/FINGER/GOPHER/QUOTE-OF-THE-DAY) since 1992. We also
: offer an FTP client/server for HP3000s that'll run on MPE/V (the folks
: at the US NAVY can attest to that).
:
: Our (earlier mentioned) MPE/V system runs all those thingys when we turn
: them on.

  One small problem however, if you have no LANIC card (or even a LANIC
card and no software, as is my case) you still need to shell out $9k+ for
your average 3000/42 set up.  $9000 to run TCP/IP on 14+ year old
equipment is pushing the bounds of necessity, don't you think?  Serial
cables to a terminal host accomplish many of the same needs, for a
fraction of the price.

  and then, of course, you need to stick your apps on top, which are
another big dive into the pocketbook.  You could get a Sun Ultra, HP/UX
system, or SGI Indigo2 complete for the cost it would take to network your
classic 3k.

--
Dan Kosack