HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tracy Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 23:13:13 -0700
I escaped a similar experience.

----------
From:   James Trudeau[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
<snippity>
Last October I posted regarding being forced by a third party vendor to
migrate from
our perfectly good 3k to a DEC, HP 9k or a SUN Alpha.  My problem was
twofold:
a) which one  b)what size.  Quite a number of people responded, mostly
privately,
and each one asked that I post the progress.  So here I am with results and
question.
<snippity>
My question...because of scheduling and a shortage of personnel it looks
like I personally
will not be able to go to any kind of formal training.  A couple of others
are going for basics
but I'm out.  So...in a few weeks I'm taking a week off (and my PC) sit at
home and
go through Computer Based Training (CBT).  I understand that CBT, like the
real world,
is heavily dependent upon the source course content (what outfit ya got it
from)
but am *really* interested in views, good or bad, from anyone who has been
through
this sort of an experience.  As CBT is spreading rapidly a posting to the
list may be
of value, however I'm willing to take what I can get.
Jim (Biting his nails) Trudeau *

A few months ago my company went through a similar evolution which took a
whole year to evolve.  I took HP9K classes.  We even got the application
converted successfully.  (Then I quit and found another HP3K job).

During the period of my 4-weeks notice, I was told by someone in the HP3K
community, that I had escaped the Unix "blue event horizon."  Asking this
person what he meant, he told me that in his experience of friends that
undergo a conversion from MPE to HP-UX (or any other ..UX), that they enter
a "black hole" and are never heard from again.

Has anyone else managed to escape?