HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Cas Caswell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 18:00:02 PDT
From: [log in to unmask] (David Booth)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.hp.hpux,comp.sys.hp.mpe
Subject: telnet and Block Mode

David Booth Wrote:

First the obligatory pointer to your friendly HP support folks in the
Response Centers or local field office. If you have support, they may be
able to feed you solutions faster. If you don't have support, as an HP
employee allow me to ask you to please consider it. [1]

With that said, let's look at this.

>I have been given the charter of providing dial-up access to our systems.
>We run a mixture of HP-UX and MPE-XL machines.
>
>We do the dialup to a cisco router plugged into the network, which then
>telnet's to the target. To get to the MPE system, I telnet to the HP-UX 9.04
>machine, then use vt3k(1) to get to the 3k.
>
>Everything works just fine other than block mode applications on the 3k.
>They seem to be very "erratic" in the sense that they load up OK, but as soon
>as some "screen read" operation is attempted, the screen and keyboard "lockup"
>and eventually the connection times out and the session aborted.

Well, I run everything via VT3K or Telnet on my 3000's from a UX
workstation. No block mode problems. It is entirely possible that someone
outboard from the HPUX machine is real unhappy about the DC1 read trigger,
or the DC1-DC2-DC1 handshake that block mode ends to run. If that's the
case, you'll need to figure out which part of the link it is and
reconfigure. A serial analyser next to the terminal and next to the cisco
could be vital to troubleshoot this.

Um, nasty thought, what terminal are you using? If it's not an HP
terminal, or a terminal emulator that does HP terminals, block mode is
likely to work badly, if at all.

>Has anyone done this before and can shed any clues on how to make this work,
>or failing that, suggest a method of supporting block mode over a dialup
>connection in this manner?  Would HP's native "HP3k Telnet" product help?

If the problem is something related to HPUX/CISCO, then using the native
telnet options may well help you. If you decide to go to Telnet/iX Server,
your 3000 will need to be on MPE/iX 5.5 powerpatch 1 to run block mode,
and I strongly encourage you to get the lates GR telnet patch (currently
PTDEDL9A). There are still some really subtle VPLUS bugs we're workin on
with the field, but for the most part, block mode apps work fine with
PTDEDL9A.

However, if you go to Telnet/iX you will need a HP terminal/terminal
emulator. We only support HP terminals with it.

Hope that helps,

cas (recovering telnet developer) caswell

[1] While I know the opinion of support varies wildly among the
subscribers to the list, I do feel it is important that I point y'all to
the support organization. They do good work and their purpose for existing
is to help with these type problems, so they'll likely be able to be more
responsive to you than other HP folks. Of course there's a lot of sharp
talent out there on the list, and they may well be faster yet. Good Luck.
[log in to unmask] (Cas Caswell)   By the way: I said it, not my company.