HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 22:09:15 -0400
----------
> From: Peter Griffiths <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: SAMBA SETUP HELP
> Date: Wednesday, May 07, 1997 11:24 AM
>
> Hi,
>
> I have just read Joe Geiser's excellent article in the NewsWire magazine
> re:SAMBA.

<blush>

> I instantly download a version and setup on our 918lx, but I have a few
problems
> that maybe you experienced during your setup.
> Our system is a 918lx 5.0 MPE, with a simple TCP/IP network via the
ThinLan
> card. This enables our 2-3 Win95 PCs to access the HP via NSVT and
Reflections.
> The setup of SAMBA worked faultlessly but for some reason the SMBMON job
isn't
> connecting to any nodes.

<stuff snipped>

> Unspecified error 0x0
> Your server software is being unfriendly

<rest of log snipped>

"Your server software is being unfriendly" is Samba's "catch-all" error
message, unfortunately.  I too, am getting this on a segregated network
without DNS or WINS services on it (to basically emulate just a
peer-to-peer Windows network).  This seems to be a problem with Samba,
although I haven't nailed it just yet.  (I've been working with it all
afternoon as a matter of fact, and I've uttered quite a few works I
wouldn't want young children using <g>)

Samba can act as a Domain Master (like a domain controller) and can
perform its own WINS - which is DNS for Windows NetBIOS names over TCP/IP
addresses.  I'm just trying to figure out the right combination.  As soon
as I have the problem solved, I'll post it here (unless speedy Lars gets
it figured out first <g>).

There is also a file called /etc/local/samba/docs/DIAGNOSIS.txt (case
sensitive) which has a wealth of information on diagnosing problems.  You
may want to print this out (it's long) and go through each step.  Many
problems can be diagnosed with this doc.

Sorry I couldn't be further help - but I hope to have it nailed soon.

Best,
Joe

Joe Geiser - CSI Business Solutions, LLC
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA  19047-3083, USA
Phone: (215) 945-8100     Fax: (215) 943-8408
[log in to unmask]            http://www.csillc.com