HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Daniel Kosack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 20:19:13 GMT
Paul Christensen ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: a series 42 to an 948.  We didn't think we could swing the computer room
: environment.

  I operated a Series 42 in a "regular" environment for approx 6 months.
I would keep it up if not for space and power requirements.  Those
boxes (especially these classics) take a licking and keep on ticking.  I
ersonally like the old MPE V stuff myself, but I'm a nostalgist so I may
not count.  I run an _OLD_ MPE V, G.A3.07 on that box, but it suited to
task.

: If we took delivery of one, what is the support cost?  Do you need to pay a
: liscense fee to
: hp for the software, or could you run without support and just stay on the
: verion of MPE

  I called HP about this a few years back, they never responded.  I don't
know what is going on with MPE V myself, I know support is ending (if I
thasn't already) and the last rev I know of was released a year or 2 back.

  I suppose they may deal with it like Sun deals with Sun3 and 386i
issues... we know, just don't rub it in our face type of thing.

: This may sound strange but after 18 years of contracting on the HP3000, I
know
: none
: of these hardware questions.  I just program on whatever box the client has,
: never
: had to be involved in the support costs or hardware costs.

  I would love to get myself a physically smaller box (and lighter
too!).  I think the Micro 3000's are supposed to be rather small,
deskside-like and light?  To be honest, the drives are the killers. (as
far as weight and awkward go).

--
Dan Kosack