HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Byler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 1997 20:12:14 GMT
Bob Bender ([log in to unmask]) wrote:
: I have been assigned the task of taking a serial spooled 4SI LJ and printing
: a report from the HP3K MPE 5.0.  In printing the report I am sending escape
: char. to print the report in landscape format.  The problem is that my page
: breaks are lost in the process and I end up with 2-3 pages on 1 sheet.
: The problem is the same if I FCopy the code to the printer followed by
: the report or if I append the 2 lines of code to the report before it hits
: the printer.
: Has anyone experienced this and could you lend a hand.

Which "escape char" are you sending, and how are you specifying page breaks?
If your page breaks are via CCTL %61, the serial printer storage manager
will turn them into ^[&l1V (skip to VFC channel 1).  If you are sending only
the escape sequence ^[&l1O to specify landscape mode, you should be OK.  But
if your escape sequence includes ^[&l0E (set top margin of 0 lines), the
LJ 4Si will ignore the page eject portion of ^[&l1V and just move the logical
pen to the top of the current page instead of the top of the next page.

This is a printer bug, but getting it fixed is an extremely dim prospect.
The reason is that the ^[&l#V codes are legacy and currently undocumented
in the PCL Technical Reference Manual.  This means that Boise Printer
Division is technically not in violation of spec.  And I don't think the
number of affected printers is large enough to get their attention as a
business reason.

-Larry "MPE/iX Spoolers 'R' Us" Byler-