HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 2

From:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jerry Fochtman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 May 1997 06:42:34 -0500
At 07:14 PM 5/7/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Does anyone use home groups as part of their security? What about group
>passwords?

At a previous job we utilized home groups for each logon-ID which was the last
name of the individual.  In that manner, any files created/etc. were
essentially
that person's.  Group access rights were limited to GU and a random
password was
placed on each group.  This way, the individual who had the user ID
assigned to
the group as its 'home' did not have to supply a group password.  However,
if someone else attempted to sign into another person's group they would
have to be able to specify the password. This is because group passwords
only apply to access
attempts when the target group is not the user-ID's home group.

Given that we did't keep any product data/programs/etc. in indvidual's
groups, when the person was re-assigned or left, we could simply purge the
user ID and group without having to be concerned that some critical
production files would be lost.  We could also track individual's use of
the application as their connect/cpu time would be recorded at the group
level so it only represented the assigned individual's use of the system.

/jf