HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 00:27:53 +0200
At 09:49 05.05.1997 -0700, Gavin wrote:
>Oh, I don't know.  This was one of the enhancements we dreamed up
>for the first version of Netware on the 3000.  The idea was that
>an image database would show up as a directory on the 3000 that
>you could CD to and then see all the datasets as files (named
>with the dataset name).  You would be able to do a serial read of
>any dataset by simply opening up the appropriate "file".

Hmmm. How did you notice that this idea came to my mind yesterday?

This approach definitely has some interesting aspects. I think the
drawback might be the lack of appropriate tools on the PC side. The
example of loading a large dataset into favourite word processor or
spreadsheet program comes to mind...

Maybe with a little more programming effort one could make the
TurboIMAGE datasets look like dBase files and use dBase to access
them from the PC !? Oops, I forgot the $think_pink$ flag :-)

The main question for me here is: Will there be enough benefit to
justify the programming effort? (and I'm sure that it will have to
be someone else -not me- doing that ;-)

Keep in mind that various flavours of ODBC as well other PC client
tools (like Netbase Client or the many many others) are available
and integrate with existing PC applications or are accessible for PC
programmers...

So why re-invent just another wheel here? Where is the "breakthrough"?

Yours, curiously.

Lars.