HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bruce Toback <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 May 1997 13:51:34 -0000
Mark Bixby writes:
>[Michael D. Hensley writes:]
>> You've obviously never owned a LaserJet 2000, aka a "JamJet".  :-)
>
>Actually we used to own 5 of them.  We still have 3.
>
>The C40Ds are worse.

The LaserJet 2000s are highly reliable printers. Unfortunately, as
delivered by HP, they lack an important component. We have a photograph
of ours, properly configured for reliable high-volume duplex printing.
The duplex doors are open (these are obviously for shipping purposes only
and should be removed for normal operation), and the interlock is
defeated. (A pair of scissors wedged into the latch openings works
nicely.) On the floor approximately 40cm in front of the duplex cabinet,
we installed an ultrasonic humidifier, and added some vacuum-cleaner hose
to direct the humidifer discharge onto the duplex feed tray. The
humidifier is set on low output.

In this configuration, the LaserJet 2000 will print very reliably, easily
going through the full paper input capacity, in duplex mode, without
jamming. It is necessary to add water about once a day, or whenever
someone accidentally kicks over the humidifier. Once we had determined
the proper setup and maintenance procedure, we were quite pleased with
the printer.

-- Bruce