HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Larry Boyd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 15:35:24 -0500
Igor,

What you want to do is enable the database for CIU (Critical Item Update)
and then DBUPDATE The record, instead of DBDELETE/DBPUT.  This will allow
the record to retain its current position.  The second issue in your
message has to do with the sort/key retrieval.  If you DBDELETE/DBPUT a
record with "key1" sorted on "sort1", then a chained read of "key1" should
have the record as the last record with the matching "sort1" value.  For
example, if the key1 value is 12345 and the sort1 value is ABC, then the
record you add will show up as the last 12345ABC record, assuming that
there are multiple 12345ABC records.  If you search and read from 'key2',
which does not have 'sort1' defined on it, then the record will show up as
the last record in the chain (even if the physical location of the record
is exactly the same).  This is because IMAGE adds the records in
chronological order and the "new" record is last.

Hope this helps.

LB