HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
"F. Alfredo Rego" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
F. Alfredo Rego
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 09:27:16 -0600
"John D. Alleyn-Day" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>The small system for developers is one of the ongoing projects of
>SIGCONSULT (of which I just happen to be Co-chair).  The biggest problem
>right now seems to be the exceessive cost of support.  I would appreciate
>hearing from all of those out there that are really interested in such a
>system and would really buy one if HP produced it.  So as not to clutter up
>this list, please reply to me directly.  How much would you be prepared to
>pay for such a system, what should it contain (software and hardware) and
>how much would you expect to pay for annual hardware and software maintenance?
>
>Incidentally, a secondhand 917 is very attractively priced these days -
>until you look at the support cost!

I had an early look at Charles Finley's "suitcases" containing a "portable"
HP3000.  Even though I applaud his efforts, I have chosen to travel
carrying my trusty 240 MHz Mac PowerBook, wich allows me to hook to my
HP3000 at home (either through the Internet, whenever my hosting friends
have such a hookup, or through the telephone otherwise, from hotel rooms
and such).

So, the fact that Charles did not get too many enthusiastic responses does
not mean that people are not interested in a TRULY portable HP3000.  I
would be willing to consider ONE smallish "suitcase" that would qualify as
one of my two carry-on items on an airplane.  I could use socks and
underwear as padding :-)

Regarding support and other costs, I strongly believe that HP (whatever
"HP" is) should seriously consider the wisdom of "planting and tending the
soil" in addition to "just harvesting".  As Joe Geiser pointed out, the
fruits of helping developers and evangelists are many and sweet.

I will be at the head of the line to buy one of these portable HP3000 systems.

 _______________
|               |
|            r  |  Alfredo                     [log in to unmask]
|          e    |                           http://www.adager.com
|        g      |  F. Alfredo Rego               Tel 208 726-9100
|      a        |  Manager, R & D Labs           Fax 208 726-2822
|    d          |  Adager Corporation
|  A            |  Sun Valley, Idaho 83353-3000            U.S.A.

                                                                .