HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 1997 13:46:49 +0200
Please forgive the following idea... I'm obviously a little biased... ;-)

If you can setup your PC's to connect to some Samba/iX share on the 3000
automatically (which is a checkbox on the PC, I believe) you might have the
SMBD program collect the PC's network logons for you.

This is because a "map network drive" establishes a TCP connection to the
SMB server machine and passes username/password during the initial hand-
shake for "session setup" (not talking about an MPE session here).

You "just" have to add some routine to SMBD that writes out the username,
password and PC nodename or IP address to some (hopefully pretty secured)
database that could then be examined by your application program(s).

But as I said, pretty insane, pretty biased and pretty close to sniffing...

Lars.

PS: And I'm not sure if I would want to base my security on a Windows PC
    screen saver password or alike. I vaguely recall a dire warning in the
    Samba (for Unix) doc files that PC's store/stored this info using some
    quite insecure encryption. Might be a problem of "old" versions, thou.