HP3000-L Archives

May 1997, Week 1

From:
Joe Geiser <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 6 May 1997 22:49:12 -0400
----------
> From: Chris Bartram <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re[2]: Portable HP-UX and NT!  Why not MPE?
> Date: Tuesday, May 06, 1997 4:18 PM
>

> I too saw that box and was impressed. However, it's still just a
8(?)-user
> HP3000 in a portable case. What developers need are 1-2 user boxes, with
> the *software* priced for those platforms so it doesn't cost the
equivalent
> of 16-boxes to buy the compilers you need to write software on it... I'm
> afraid noone but HP can address that issue.

I hated to snip all the great stuff Chris wrote - but for the sake of
bandwidth...

Chris hits the nail right on the head.  I, for one, would love to have a
small system with a 2-5 user license for MPE for crash-n-burn and
development purposes.  I do a lot here and use a third party for my HP
gear, because the pricing is much lower for the hardware, but the OS is
something else altogether.

Those of us in small, upstart businesses just don't have US$25K to drop on
an HP3000, but we want to focus our business on it.  There are more small
businesses out there focusing on the HP3000 than one might think!  We who
need to watch our budgets but who need the equipment would be well served
by a smaller system.  They can fit it in a "PC-Tower" sized cabinet
now...it should not be that difficult to come up with a version of MPE
that's affordable for the small business.  Who knows --- we might be able
to come up with the APPLICATIONS that the HP3000 needs so badly...

My US$.02 worth...for what it's worth...

Joe
-
Joe Geiser - CSI Business Solutions, LLC
140 Bristol-Oxford Valley Road, Suite 102
Langhorne, PA  19047-3083, USA
Phone: (215) 945-8100     Fax: (215) 943-8408
[log in to unmask]            http://www.csillc.com
-