HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 5

From:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gavin Scott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Apr 1997 14:08:29 -0700
Re: (17 lines)
Wirt wrote:
> The "LAN-based" point-to-point system that Jeff describes above
> re-invents statistical multiplexers (if these new devices run a
> common synchronous clock between them and commutate, and thus
> maximally pack, the packets).

I think ATM is a better example of something that works this way.

As another point of trivia, I believe that T1 lines operate in a
similar synchronous fashion that requires every T1 circuit in the
country (world?) to derive its timing from the same clock, so that
you can hook two of them end to end without worrying about
synchronization (kind of like the problem where the escalator hand
rail goes faster or slower than the steps).

G.