HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
George Fetters <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 16:42:42 CST
Receintly we added 5.1 gig drives to our HP Vectra 6/150's and had a similar
problem.  The problem stems from the fact that most bios versions prior to
January 1997 are unable to recognize drives greater than 2 gig and the 16bit FAT
table set up by dos or windows 95 can't handle drives bigger than 2 gig.
(Automagic Problem) ;')

Your Options.

1. There should be partition software from the maker of the Hard Drive to allow
you to partition the drive into 2 or more partitions and put your software back
on.

2. Get Windows 95 OSR2(OEM Service Release 2) which has the ability to format a
drive using a 32bit FAT table.

3. Get Windows NT which can do the same with NTFS.

I suggest the first, Bill Gates has too much money already.