HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 22:01:07 -0400
Michele Conant wrote:

> We are using HP's ONLINE backup for our Daily PartBacks. The systems
> using ONLINE partbacks are all on C.50.04 and have multiple Volume
> sets configured. I am able to accomplish this with one jobstream.

> Author:  Mike Kapsak <[log in to unmask]> at internet

>I have a question on how to store files from multiple volume sets using
>HP's On-Line Turbostore. After looking up info on LaserROM, I noticed
>that in one example there were multiple volume sets defined.

:STORE will backup files based on the specified filesets irrespective
of the ONVS= parameter.  ONVS= specifies which *directories* to store
when using ;DIRECTORY option.  If you have user volumes, you must use
this syntax to backup the directories of the user volumes (by default
it only backs up the system volume set).

:RESTORE will restore files into the HOMEVS= volume set of the groups
unless the VOLSET= option is used, in which case the files will be
"pushed" onto the specified volumeset if the acct/group exists in
the system and you specify ;CREATE.

If you wish to "omit" a user volume from a :STORE, you can :VSCLOSE the
volume set prior to the store.  We use this regularly as our development
account contains not only source, but copies of production data for test
purposes.  The "copies" of production databases are in groups setup for
HOMEVS=WORKSPACE while source and user groups are HOMEVS=DEVELOPMENT.
To avoid storing the test databases, we :VSCLOSE WORKSPACE;NOW prior to
backups and they are excluded from the backup.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>