HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Apr 1997 19:20:00 -0400
Mark Bixby wrote:

> Is anybody attempting to use 5.5 network spooling with page level recovery
> enabled to print to C40D printers?

Yes, we have "attempted" this (good choice of words).

> With our printers at firmware version 2000, we couldn't get it to work at all.
> We upgraded the firmware yesterday to version 2064.  Small files print OK, but
> a big file hangs after the last page of user data but before the trailing
> banner.

I *think* we have 2064, will have to check tomorrow.  After several SR's
and the best efforts of Larry Byler and a C40D engineer whose name I
don't recall and some CSY labbies who waded through network traces, I
ended up "solving" the problem by disabling PJL on the printer.  The
last problem I recall is that it would, on occasion, print a header
page, timeout, reprint the header page, timeout, reprint the header
page, etc.  It was not predictably reproducable.

> I have an open HPRC call about this, but I'd like to find out if anybody
> in the real world with C40Ds is having success with PLR.

Not to my knowledge, but like you I would prefer to hear otherwise.
Do the D640s work any better?  [Anybody wanna buy a C40D?]

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>