HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Apr 1997 12:51:03 -0400
 ----
From: Jeff Vance <[log in to unmask]>
To: Doug Werth <[log in to unmask]>; [log in to unmask]
Date: Wednesday, April 23, 1997 12:38 PM
Subject: Re: Extending Posix filenames (long)

>On Apr 23, 11:18am, Doug Werth wrote:
>  <<SNIP>>

>> As the programming effort to change the number of programs that this
>> routine was compiled into was too great we wrote them a routine to
>> intercept and parse the command intrinsic. If it is RENAME and the file
>> name is blank it emulates the pre-posix behavior otherwise it passes
the
>> command on to the real intrinsic.
>
>Could you have, instead, written a COMMAND() stub in your XL and had the
>XL COMMAND simply call HPCICOMMAND.  Then define a system level UDC named
>RENAME that handles this case?  I don't know if this would be easier or
not.

That is exactly what we did. For those that are interested we even wrote
the COMMAND intrinsic stub in COBOL.

As for forward compatibilty, if a user can move from 4.0 to 5.5, a fairly
drastic change in file systems/operating systems, and this is the only
thing they found to complain about then they haven't dealt with enough of
the other operating systems that are around.

Keep up the good work.

Doug.

Doug Werth
Beechglen Development Inc.