HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 4

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Apr 1997 02:05:16 -0400
Jeff Vance wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've been asked by a customer how many hours it (typically) takes to
> update from MPE 5.0 to 5.5.  He has a bare bones 957/RX with very
> few user files.

This varies by machine, installation method, luck, and Murphy :-)

If all goes well and you update from a CD-ROM, 2-3 hours if you have no
reactive patches.  But this is *very* optimistic.

From tape, I'd concur with the earlier report of 4 hours.

Add time if you get any "surprises" or have to do reactive patches.  I
don't recall offhand if AUTOINST handles SLT/FOS/Subsys/PPatch/Reactive
in one pass (I don't think so); HPINSTAL can't do them all either.

My most recent experience was updating a 957 (similar setup but bigger
system) from CD-ROM and it was ~4 hours for all (SLT/SUB/PPatch/React)
at another site.  But it was a textbook update (no surprises).

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>