HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Edie Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Edie Houston <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 17 Apr 1997 14:28:22 -0700
My thanks to everybody who answered my frantic call for help regarding
transferring report output via FTP from the HP to our NT Intranet Server.
The magic answer was given from Randy Medd from Telemon.  Even though Randy
assumed I wanted to print the reports on an NT printer (we actually wanted
to view them in Internet Explorer as text files) his answer did the trick
for us.  I am printing his answer below in case anyone else is faced with
navigating the maze of a very open system structure.  Without going into a
lot of detail, we are transferring data between HP/ix, HP/ux, Novell 3.11,
Novell 3.12, Sun Os, Solaris, NT 3.5, NT 4.0, Windows 3.11 and last but not
least Win95.  This has given us a few sleepless nights!  We are using
Spoolmate from Unison on the HP to handle the spoolfile disposition.
Randy's solution only required that I replace an Fcopy line in my Spoolmate
analysis file with a "Print > tmp" line.  It works fine!  Randy, I owe you
a beer!

|Spool files have an 8-byte binary header field in front of each
|record - that's the garbage.
|buildparms has nothing to do with this - you need to get someone/
|something to convert the file to an honest text file, preferably with
|the CCTL codes translated to suitable CR, LF and FF combinations.
|
|However, a (real) cheap way to get rid of the 8-byte headers is:
|
| :PRINT O1234.OUT.HPSPOOL > temp

|'temp' will now be a variable width temp file, with the CCTL byte in