HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Eric Buttrum <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Eric Buttrum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Apr 1997 11:38:54 -0700
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Roger Smith wrote:

> Date:    Tue, 15 Apr 1997 15:12:32 -0500
> From:    ROGER SMITH <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Ping Patch for v5.0 HP3000
>
> I ordered the NSTEDJ9A patch today.  My manager, being the conservative,
> asked "Are there others running with this patch installed?"  His second
> question was "Does this patch affect anything beside the ping problem?"
>
> I know that the patch was release in Dec, 1996.  Has anyone experience
> any problems installing this patch?
>
> TIA,
> roger                   [log in to unmask]

Roger,

I tried to apply the "Ping Patch" for MPE 5.0 and it failed during
installation.  I had previously applied patches NMSED98 and NSTEDC9. (The
patch NMSED98 is required as outlined in the documentation that comes with
the NSTEDJ9 patch and the NSTEDC9 patch was applied to solve a problem we
were having with network resources not being released and we were running
out of connections.  The NSTEDC9 patch also required NMSED98 patch to be
applied before applying the NSTEDC9 patch.)
During the job stream, the job failed.  The message on the console indicated
to look in "LOGERRS.PATCHXL.SYS".  Upon examining the log error file, the
following was found:

NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - NETMSG.NET.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay NETMSG.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - NETTOOL.NET.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay NETTOOL.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - NETCP.NET.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay NETCP.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - SOCKETRL.NET.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt tp overlay SOCKETRL.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - UDPTOOL.NET.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay UDPTOOL.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - IFARP.H.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay IFARP.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653-074229 - IOCTL.H.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay IOCTL.PATCHXL.SYS
NSTEDJ9A 1653.074229 IF.H.SYS
NSTEDJ9A: Attempt to overlay IFH.PATCHXL.SYS

Before applying the patch, I made sure that the network services were
stopped.  After the job failed the first time, I re-booted the system and
did not start the network services.  I then tried to apply the patch again,
and it failed again with the same errors.  Next I looked at the PATCHXL
group and it looked ok.  I tried to install the patch again and had the
same problem again.  At this point, I gave up as it was getting rather late.
I have not tried again since and I have not found anything about this on any
HP support site and our support provider is looking for an answer.  If you
here anything about this error or anyone else on the list has an answer for
this problem it would be most appreciated.

Thank-you,

Eric.

Eric Buttrum                             Phone:(905)575-1212 x3339
Technical Support Group                  Fax:(905)575-2197
Division of Information Technology       E-Mail:[log in to unmask]
Mohawk College

                 "The truth is out there, .....somewhere"