HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 00:14:00 -0700
Michael L Gueterman wrote:

> Michael,
>
>   First off congratulations!  It's nice to see a company take
> the initiative like this.  Samba on the 3000 has certainly come
> a long way in it's brief 6 month life span.  Will you be joining
> the Client-Server audio conference May 6 (1-2pm PDT)?

I hope so!

> Lars will be speaking on the whole Samba/iX porting
> process, and Joe Geiser along with myself are also scheduled
> to speak from a users perspective.  It should be an interesting
> hour.
>   Do you intend to make your customizations available to
> the whole community?  I believe at least part of your changes
> would be applicable to most Samba/iX users.  I'm not so
> sure that your security schemes will be as readily adaptable
> as the filename alterations though.  It does sound like an
> intriguing solution to the problem though.  One question
> though, what keeps a person from altering the workstation's
> name, rebooting, and then connecting up to Samba to gain
> access to another groups sessions?  Also, do you make use
> of "other" SMB hosts from those workstations (other NT, WfW,
> Win 95, or other Samba systems)?

First let me say that any security scheme is as strong as it's weakest
component. In this configuration the weak component is the Microsoft client.
We don't have much control over this problem. The security I plan on using is
fairly strong -(minus) the Microsoft client. So nothing is stopping someone
from rebooting with a different workstation name (machine name). However they
must know the password for that workstation as well, and maybe even the same
IP address for that machine. One thing Microsoft networks don't like is two
machines with the same IP address.

We plan on using NT and wfw. Currently we use wfw as a standard. As NT4.0
becomes more "Hardware Friendly" we plan on using it. The security I plan on
using with my Samba server will work better with NT, because NT security is
also a superior solution. We do have one renegade user that is using Win95.
With Samba all of the above seems to work. I think there is some differences
between the versions or the Microsoft use of the SMB protocol, you must set
it correctly in the smb.conf file under [global] we have "protocol = LANMAN1"

--
Cheers

Michael Anderson,
Systems Programmer