HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Alan AMBERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 1997 07:48:00 -0400
C1128110.txt (43 lines)
Lars asked....

> Have you tried the OpenDESK Mobile GUI already? I believe, it also
> allows serial connections, not just LAN. I'm using the connection
> over network as I have some kind of ISDN router at home (I'm not a
> networking guru, so forgive me if I'm using incorrect terms here).

We have it in the office and some folks in one area tested it, but I have
not tried it.

> The nice thing with the Mobile Client is that I can connect to the
> server, select and transfer messages from my intray, disconnect,
> read offline, prepare new messages or replies, reconnect to the
> server and transmit the queued messages. Very useful and efficient.

The only problem that we have noticed is some departments share laptops.
If this is the case, one person can end up looking at the e-mail from the
last person who used that laptop.

> I also love the Local Filing Cabinet in addition to the Server Filing
> Cabinet. Simply drag & drop messages or complete folders to get them
> from PC to 3000 or vice versa.

Hmmmmm...  Since I have not used the mobile GUI, I have not seen this
option.  My access from home is through the Internet via telnet.  It is a
long distance call to work or I might consider the mobile GUI.

[snip pop server folder stuff]

> With OpenDESK there is still the option to logon via terminal and use
> the "classic user interface" to issue a "search" command which is really
> powerful. Of course, it would be more convenient if the GUI would have
> some interface to the search engine. (By the way, does OpenMAIL provide
> a similar search engine?)

I didn't know about the classic "search" command.  I'll have to try it.
But I guess that is something that will never make it to the GUI since HP
is spending theirs (and ours) $'s on OpenMAIL.  Sigh.....

/alan