HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 3

From:
Lars Appel <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 20 Apr 1997 21:38:00 +0200
Re: (64 lines)
Alan replied...
> We have been using it for at least one year now.  At the office, I
> use it exclusivly at my desk, but have to drop back and use the
> classic interface when in the field or here at home on Sunday.

[good points about the visual filing cabinet snipped]

Have you tried the OpenDESK Mobile GUI already? I believe, it also
allows serial connections, not just LAN. I'm using the connection
over network as I have some kind of ISDN router at home (I'm not a
networking guru, so forgive me if I'm using incorrect terms here).

The nice thing with the Mobile Client is that I can connect to the
server, select and transfer messages from my intray, disconnect,
read offline, prepare new messages or replies, reconnect to the
server and transmit the queued messages. Very useful and efficient.

I also love the Local Filing Cabinet in addition to the Server Filing
Cabinet. Simply drag & drop messages or complete folders to get them
from PC to 3000 or vice versa.

Does anybody know if something similar is possible with POP Clients?

Why do I ask? Well, my "secret" OpenDESK server (test machine) is
using OpenMAIL on another test machine as SMTP gateway to get intranet
and internet connectivity. I would like to get rid of the intermediate
Unix box as it adds complexity and delivery delays.

DeskLink/3000 would be my favourite choice. Runs on the 3000, is easy
to setup, maintain, reliable and blazingly fast (does not use polling
for the SMTP gateway like OpenMail does). I loved the trial but seems
I won't be able convince my managers to buy the product (just for me
and a few other MPE die-hards)... sigh.

So I'm trying the freeware NetMail version with POP Clients like Eudora
or Pegasus for Windows. Very promising execept for one issue: these two
POP clients keep their folders locally on the PC, so I have my folders
either at home or at the office and no easy way to drag them back and
forth as it seems...

Is this a limitation of the POP protocol or just of these POP clients?

But back to Alan's message...

> My biggest complaint is the lack of ability to search through the list
> of messages [I have over 500 in my intray].  I had a reason to find
> a message on Friday and if someone else on staff didn't tell me that
> it was from a particular month, I probably would not have found it, or
> it would have taken me much longer.

Yes, the lack of search in OpenDesk (and OpenMAIL) GUI's is certainly
a disadvantage. Sorting the view (of intray or folders) by subject, date
or sender provides only limited relief here.

With OpenDESK there is still the option to logon via terminal and use
the "classic user interface" to issue a "search" command which is really
powerful. Of course, it would be more convenient if the GUI would have
some interface to the search engine. (By the way, does OpenMAIL provide
a similar search engine?)

Regards, Lars.

PS: [log in to unmask] but definitely only speaking for lappel here! ;-)