HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 2

From:
Wirt Atmar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 11 Apr 1997 15:06:33 -0400
I received the most recent issue of InfoWorld (April 7, 1997) just a few
minutes ago. In it, Robert X. Cringely writes (in part):

"To hear this guy talk, Java is the Messiah for a computer industry torn
between the forces of good and evil. By the kid's definition, of course, EVIL
is represented by Microsoft and its newest partner, HEWLETT-PACKARD. The
devilish duo plans to bring down Java (emphases mine)."

I personally attribute all of this talk of HP moving from being "one of the
really good guys" to being an "evil twin" of Microsoft to the "negative
spiritual aural forces" that surround Microsoft -- that, and the appearance
of the Hale-Bopp comet :-).

In that regard (and very much along the same sentiments as the kid
programmer's comments above), two weeks ago I put together a fake web site as
an April Fool's joke for a few old friends saying much the same thing, while
advocating the true goodness and righteousness of the HP3000. Its URL is:

     http://aics-research.com/advocacy

I'll take the web site down sometime next week, but it was a lot of work to
put it together and I thought that you all might want to see it, too, before
it disappears. If you've never met Stan Sieler, at least you'll get a chance
to see him (in another light).

Wirt Atmar