HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 1

From:
Chris Breemer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chris Breemer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 1997 17:14:00 +0200
Lars/iX replied:

> I have been using VT3K with the -I option for quite a while now and it did not
> cause any problems.

Well, problems... not really. It's as good a hack as any other. Until vt3k suddenly got
promoted to a separate product and my routine broke after an upgrade... luckily
FREEVT3K saved the day (thanks Randy !)

> For systems not having VT3K there still seems the option
> to use FTP and the SITE STREAM command to be able to transfer and stream a job
> file...

... cool ! I didn't know about the SITE command. That does help some. But still you are
at the mercy of the mpe ftp server as to what you can and can't do.

> So to me the REMSH client on the 3000 seems to be more important than a REMSHD.

Sure, agreed. But, networked applications _will_ rely on the ability to execute remote
commands on another machine with remsh, and if that happens to be a 3k, it's a no-no.
Unless you hack your scripts to use vt3k and/or ftp. Even then it's not fully functional.
Ah well, theres always something to niggle about.

> Just my personal opinion, though.

Why ! I honestly thought you _were_ speaking for HP this time ... ;-)

Regards,

        Chris