HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 1

From:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Michael Anderson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:42:45 -0800
Mark Bixby wrote:

> MPE requires AM or SM capability to view file creators, but POSIX will let
> anybody view this information.  I.e. a vanilla non-prived user can do this:

[snip]

> POSIX is supposed to work this way with respect to file creators.  Can anybody
> else think of cases where POSIX policies contradict long-held MPE policies?

I have found that using the POSIX shell I can install a new version of an
application while it is being used/loaded by one or more users. MPE would
never allow this!

For example, my Sales Branch application.
------------
:RENAME SBR0000,SBR0000O
EXCLUSIVE VIOLATION: FILE BEING ACCESSED  (FSERR 90)
Open failed on file "SBR0000.BRANCH.TIW".  Not renamed. (CIERR 372)
------------

However in POSIX I can:

> mv SBR0000 SBR0000O
> mv SBR0000N SBR0000

I kinda like the idea of bypassing the need to log users off the system to do
this, but then I make some people around here (TIW) nervous.

Cheers,
Michael Anderson,

System Programmer
TIW Corporation