HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 1

From:
"Norman, Jeff" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Norman, Jeff
Date:
Mon, 7 Apr 1997 13:28:00 -0400
From: Norman, Jeff on Mon, Apr 7, 1997 1:28 PM
Subject: HP3000 Population (Revised)

Thank you for your responses to date.

I will accumulate the results of this survey and post it for the
benefit of all mailing list subscribers by the end of the month.

I hope the points noted below will help alleviate questions and concerns
raised relating to my initial request for help.   In addition I have
restated
questions below, hopefully with improved formatting, to correct for
previous errors.

1. Concern that I am a salesperson attempting to find people to cold
call.

I work for KPMG Peat Marwick Thorne a firm of chartered accountants and
will not be using this information for any sales promotion.

2. Concern that I am not qualified to write report.

I am an accountant with limited background in the computer industry.
The focus of the report will be on financial issues which are impacted
by
various assumptions.  One assumption is the installed base of the
HP3000.

I am not qualified to comment on the installed base of the HP3000 which
is
why I require the assistance of the mailing list subscribers.
I am qualified to prepare the report once I obtain feedback on this and
other assumptions.

3. Concerns that I am using the mailing list to obtain free research
that I will sell to my client.

My client pays an hourly rate for my services.  There is no benefit to
me in obtaining the information free.  The benefit goes to my client who
is
a mailing list subscriber.

4.  Why did I not identify my client.

I  believe that including the name of my client would improve the
response rate but I do not want to bias the sample either favourably
or unfavourably.

5. Incorrect reference to HP3000(UX)

In questions three and four I referred to the HP3000(UX).  I was
attempting to identify the HP3000 - new configuration machines
introduced
in the late 1980s (PA-RISC, MPE/XL or MPE/ix systems).
I believed HP3000(MPE) refered to the old (Classic) configuration
machines.
I now realize the errors in my terminology.

Revised Questions

1) How many HP3000 (Classic) systems do you believe currently exist in
the
world?

2) How many HP3000(Classic) systems do you believe existed in 1986?

3) How many HP3000(PA-RISC) systems do you believe currently exist in
the
world?

4) How many HP3000(PA-RISC) systems do you believe existed in 1986?
[Trick
question!]

5) Is it fair to assume that at some point during the life of the above
machines
that the owners would have been interested in purchasing a performance
monitoring
tool?  Could you please estimate what percentage of all systems would
have
at some
time been in the market for such a tool.

6) Are you aware of any sources of information to support the number of
HP3000
systems in existence?  If so, please provide us with any information
that
may
help us locate those sources.

7) Please estimate the number of HP3000 (Classic) and HP3000 (PA-RISC)
systems
in existence at the end of 1986, 1987, 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991, 1992,
1993,
1994,
1995 and 1996.  If you feel that you can only estimate some of these
points,
please feel free to provide what you feel you can.

8) What is the source of your information? (e.g.  General Industry
Experience,
Statistical Reports, Direct Knowledge of HP Sales, etc.)

Jeff Norman ([log in to unmask])