HP3000-L Archives

April 1997, Week 1

From:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Apr 1997 17:50:34 -0500
Bruce Toback wrote:
> >[Eric writes]
> >
> >You're talking about research machines (at best), not practical usable
> >existing commerical computers.
>
> MPE (and most other multiprocessor-capable operating systems) do exactly
> this. However, as Stan points out, they split the instructions up on the
> basis of user-defined streams (processes or threads).

There may be some confusion of "parallel" here.  The discussion has to
this point dealt with multiple processors and multiple instruction
streams.  But we also have the cases of processors [recent Intels and
I think PA-RISC] which can execute certain instructions (in a given
stream of instructions) in parallel.  But this is limited to a single
instruction stream within a single processor.

Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>